Protecting sensitive information in the digital age should be a top priority for employers and job applicants alike. We’re creating more electronic data than ever before; in 2020, data production is ~44 times greater than it was in 2009. Meanwhile, hackers and computer programs are getting smarter and more sophisticated, leading to an upward trend in cyber-attacks.
The first step to countering the costly consequences of compromised data is awareness.
Data Privacy Day
Data Privacy Day raises cyberspace safety awareness and promotes privacy and data protection best practices. Led by the National Cyber Security Alliance in North America, the event began in the United States and Canada as an extension of Data Protection Day in Europe. It is now observed every year on January 28th.
Data Privacy Day is an international educational initiative that, according to the official Data Privacy Day website, aims to “empower individuals and encourage businesses to respect privacy, safeguard data and enable trust.” Trust is the key word here. By prioritizing data protection, your company demonstrates that job applicants, as well as current employees, customers and business partners, can trust you.
How VidCruiter Protects Sensitive Data
Since we work in the tech space, we’ve made a concentrated effort to create a culture of cybersecurity awareness. Our staff knows how much privacy means to our company—and the businesses, organizations and job candidates who trust our platform.
Since VidCruiter services a global client base, we’ve established dedicated, secure data hosting in each region where we do business. This helps protect all our clients’ and job applicants’ information by adhering to local privacy laws and regulations.
Here are some of the other steps VidCruiter takes to protect sensitive information:
- Regular software and infrastructure updates
- 24/7 monitoring of data centers
- Real-time data backup on all servers, networks, and systems
- Strict access management controls
- Regular review of records
- HTTPS adherence
- Encryption algorithms
- Counter network invasion systems
Position Yourself as a Leader in Data Protection
VidCruiter has prioritized the safekeeping of all client data—and you can, too!
Ensure the highest levels of data security and protect against viruses, malware and other online threats with these suggestions:
- Enlist experts: IT professionals can help you create and execute a cybersecurity strategy specific to the unique needs of your organization.
- Clearly communicate your privacy practices: Spell out how applicants’ personal information will be collected, stored and used. Provide them with options to view or change their privacy/security settings, or revoke their consent.
- Implement modern security measures: Invest in the latest security software. A simple rule of thumb: if you collect it, protect it. Technology changes at lightning speed, so make an effort not only to comply with current regulations, but proactively prepare for the future, too.
- Conduct staff training and due diligence: Data protection is a team effort. Ensure your employees are educated on the importance of cybersecurity and know what steps to take to keep sensitive information secure.
- Regularly back up data: Prepare for the worse-case scenario. Is your data backed-up somewhere so you can access it should a data breach ever occur? Unfortunately, the unexpected can happen in spite of the best-laid plans.
Data Protection Is Good for Business
Caring about applicants’ and employees’ personal data shows you value them as people. This helps nurture your public reputation and create a positive work culture, helping attract better candidates—and more business.