- Posted by Vidcruiter
- On April 30, 2015
- 0 Comments
When it comes to applying for jobs, some applicant’s will be completely honest while others will “stretch the truth” in order to gain a competitive advantage. Applicant dishonesty is becoming increasingly more prevalent, especially for high demand positions. The following infographic shows that lying during the application process has somewhat become the norm. Here are some of the key points:
- 70 percent of college students admit they would lie on their resume to increase the chance of landing a job.
- 46 percent of resumes contain some false information.
- 21 percent of applicants include a fraudulent degree on their resume.
These stats show why applicant lying is a major concern for companies and their recruitment teams. Most recruiters don’t have the luxury of conducting a polygraph test, so they must find other ways of identifying dishonest employees. At VidCruiter, we can’t stop applicant’s from lying during their application, but we have designed ways to help catch any culprits. Here are some ways in which our video recruiting software can help your recruiters pinpoint the dishonest candidates:
- Video Interviews can be recorded and re-watched as many times as needed. When combined with resume parsing, it is very easy to cross-reference the information an applicant provided in their resume with their responses. You can make note of any discrepancies and possibly investigate them further.
- VidCruiter’s automated reference checking tool has a built in feature that automatically identifies any discrepancies between information provided by an applicant and their references. For example, an applicant may indicate that they were a department manager, but a reference may indicate that they were an assistant manager. By having all the references’ changes highlighted, recruiters can quickly determine which applicants are less truthful with their application.
- A number of applicants exaggerate their skills, such as typing speed, script reading or ability with programs such as Mircosoft Excel. The VidCruiter platform has a variety of skills tests that can be administered as a candidate applies for a job. By incorporating applicant testing into the recruitment process, recruiters can quickly determine if an applicant is as proficient as they claim.
- The VidCruiter platform tracks everything during the recruitment process, including if an applicant leaves the browser. If an applicant continually leaves the browser during important kick out questions, it may indicate that they are attempting to look up the answer on another page. Video-based questions can also add another layer of detection, as it is easy to tell if an applicant is reading something if they are being recorded.
Hiring a dishonest candidate can have a negative impact on any organization. It is clear that dishonesty during the recruitment process is a concern and the best way to guard against it is equipping your recruitment team with the proper tools. Although you can never detect all dishonest applicants with 100% certainty, the following features will help you identify the suspicious candidates that warrant further investigation.